We’ve been building websites for Australian jazz and improvising musicians for over 10 years. We specialise in small, easy-to-manage and inexpensive websites that put you in control of your content. All you need is access to the internet and a keypad – update from your phone on tour, or from your desktop at home.
$500 (plus GST) – it’s a great deal. So inevitably there’s a catch
If you’ve been shopping around you know that $500 is a really good price for a website. Particularly one that promises you quick turnaround, local knowledge and access to web savvy experts.
You’re right. It is a good price. Because there’s a catch.
This amazing deal is only available to musicians. So if you’re one of them, that qualifies you. Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to talk to us about your website or get started by filling in our website startup form…
Simple website package features
- WordPress – We use WordPress to build websites. It’s an easy to use platform – with a huge range of plugins (kind of like apps for the web) and themes (WordPress Themes are the ‘skins’ or ‘templates’ that give your site a particular look and feel). Most themes are free or very very inexpensive and are usually beautifully designed by experts.
- Gigpress – integrates with iCal and other internet calendars. Easy to use, easy to manage and can be endlessly customised. We recommend it for all the musician sites we build.
- Audio Player – play MP3 files on your site with greatly reduced risk of people being able to download them.
- No limit – on images, pages, links. We’ll put up to 10 pages / posts, up to 20 gallery images and up to 20 links in the site for you and show you how to do the rest.
- Social media integration – Build your list of followers and stay connected with your fans and fellow musicians on Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, YouTube …
- Basic SEO – we’ll work with you to complete a matrix of keywords and show you how to include them in your website to increase your chances of coming up in internet search results.
- Mailchimp Newsletter setup – we recommend Mailchimp. It’s easy to use, will ensure you comply with anti-spam laws. If you don’t already have an account, we’ll get you set up and put a signup form on your website
- Maintenance Mode – while your site is under construction we’ll activate a handy splash page so nobody but us can see the mess
- Full admin rights – some website developers give you limited access to your own website, restricting what you can do. we give you complete control. With control, comes great responsibility – but don’t worry too much. It’s hard to completely break a website and you’ll have access to our fixers if you do something completely wacky and need help. We can also limit your access if you want to learn slowly.
- User guide – step by step for everything you’ll need to do on your website to keep it updated.
- Expert advice – for navigation, content and design. We know how to help you arrange your content, and the best way to present your music for maximum results. Whether you want your website to be a static ‘brochure’ site or a dynamic portal for your fans to follow what you do, we’ve got ways to make it the best it can be.
- Great support – via our free eBooks and direct email.
Tell me again. What do I get for $500?
Well, all of the above. For starters. Which translates to:
- Up to 12 hours of time from a web expert
- Assistance and advice for domain name registration and purchase of hosting. We recommend GoDaddy (read our disclaimer here)
- Creation of email addresses – you’ll need at least one address, so people can contact you. If you want an address that includes your domain name, we’ll help you set it up.
- Installation and configuration of WordPress – once you’ve purchased your hosting, you’ll need to install WordPress. We’ll do that for you and make sure your settings are correct.
- Setup of backups so if something goes wrong, you can restore your content back to a recent copy.
- Assistance and advice with the selection of a WordPress theme and plugins
- Installation of WordPress theme and Plugins (Gigpress, Audio Player, SoundCloud Shortcode, Widget Logic, Maintenance Mode etc. )
- Minor customisations of your WordPress theme (what does ‘minor customisations’ mean?)
- Setup of MailChimp account
- A customised user guide with step by step procedures for how to manage and maintain your website.
Support by phone and email for 3 months after you go live
Why so cheap?
We like musicians. It’s as simple as that. Musicians make the world a better place. So we like to make the world a better place for musicians.
Ready to get started?
Additional costs you may incur
- Domain name registration or transfer. Web hosting – again, we recommend GoDaddy for domain names and hosting for their great prices and customer service (read our disclaimer here)
FAQ: ‘Why aren’t domain name registration and web hosting included in the $500?
Our answer: Sometimes musicians come to us with hosting already in place, or a request to replace / refresh an existing website. Sometimes they come to us with a clear preference for a particular hosting company. Your domain name (like a street address) and your hosting (like a block of land) are not the same as a website (which is like the house you build on a block of land at a street address) We charge you $500 plus GST – for an awesome website (‘house’). Of course we can also help you choose a domain name (‘street address’) and a hosting company (‘block of land’). That advice comes as part of our package. But it’s up to you to purchase them. That way, when you want to build a new ‘house’ in a few years, you’ve got everything ready . We recommend GoDaddy because they have great prices, and support (much much better than their competition) plus also very good uptime. There is pretty much nothing worse than your website going down because you’ve signed up with a second rate hosting provider!
- Purchase of a WordPress theme – if you decide you want to use a commercial theme instead of a free one, you may have to pay between $30 and $120.
- Plugin purchases (most plugins are free but some incur a small cost, e.g. our recommended anti-spam plugin Akismet that will help you control spam you’ll receive if you’re leaving comments open on your website)
Ready to get started?
There are some additional services you might like to investigate when building your website.
- Mailchimp templates – we design and customise them, for a small fee.
- Copywriting – something we do for clients of all types. We love writing about jazz and the people who make it. So yaay. Ask us.
- Content uploads – if you have heaps of content to upload or migrate from another site, we can help with that.
- Image optimisation – if you have images that need resizing and you don’t have access to the software to do that, we can do that for you to. Optimisation of up to 20 images will be included in your package and any additional ones can be done for a small fee.
- Photographs – we can help you find a photographer for your photo shoot. We have access to some of the best jazz photographers in Australia. Depending on your budget, you can arrange a photo shoot or find existing photos that can be purchased for a small fee from the photographer.